Monday, October 31, 2011

Laurel Hill Creek and Indian Creek

Went up on the 23rd, was the third time I went out fly fishing in my life. I've fished Indian creek before with pretty good success with my ultra light, so Will and I figured we should give it a shot. We got there a little before 10 and by the time we fishing it was 10. Made a few casts and then my friend realized he had a leaky wader. So we drove all the way back to Mt. Pleasant Walmart to buy a pair of waders and socks for him. We decided to try Laurel Hill Creek since I have heard many good things about it, and obviously our luck at Indian creek was not looking to good.

We get there, have a well needed bathroom break and head off. The creek is a beautiful creek and has to hold a decent amount of fish. Walked about 1/2 of a mile without any success, so we decided to go back to Indian Creek because we did see a few there. On our way backto the car i spotted a few and decided to make a few casts. Finally managed to hook up with one, fought pretty good, but it was in a decent current so it had that to its advantage. Successfully landed my 4th trout on the fly, I was pretty happy. We left shortly after and went to Indian creek. When we arrived we took a small walk to look for some fish when I realized I had left my fly box at Laurel hill. So we rushed back there to get my fly box before someone picked it up. As we were pulling up I made my friend laugh so hard he spit Gatorade all over his window. He looked at me laughed, and said "F*** it, I'm fishing" and away he went to the creek. I laughed and then ran down the trail to find my fly box. I walked down some ways and there it was, sitting right where I put it. While I was getting my fly box, Will caught one, his first one the fly. We left shortly after this and went back to Indian creek.

I put on a fly I had found earlier that day and started fishing. Within the first few casts I hooked up and lost him when he jumped about a foot out of the water. I caught 2 more and lost a few more too. Will caught one on a little fly I had made that was similar to the one I had found. Will soon got snagged on a log, and my line got tangled with his. Turned out to be a giant mess we could not fix, so we decided to call it quits and head home. Stopped at McDonald's on the way home for a crappy meal, but a filling one. All in all we had a good day, I did realize though that when fly fishing you have to be more aware of your surrounding area, got stuck on so many trees it was ridiculous, stupid back cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment